This post is compiled by Damyanti Das Gupta and Rishi Kumar by consulting multiple people from different states
Important info before you begin!!
So, you have decided to do Biology, but before you begin we want you to know there is a vast variety of sub-domains of Biology (Zoology, Botany, Life sciences, and Biotechnology) and the kinds of courses(BSc, BS-MS, I-MSc, etc. ) available. We feel it’s extremely important that you know these before you set sail in some direction. People even choose ‘Medicine’ because they like ‘Biology’ but rarely consider a career in ‘Biology’ as such, which one will begin with a UG degree. Here is a post where we tried to differentiate between different types of UG courses in Biology.
The Top Tier Institutes we listed here are top research Institutes in India with top faculty, good funding, and infrastructure.
The Institutes are segregated on the basis of their status being Public/private funded ones.
These are research institutes, they offer 5 years long Integrated BS-MS courses that are more research-oriented.
- IISC, Bangalore – [JEE, KVPY, and NEET]
- IISERs [SCB, KVPY, JEE; Seats: 1734]
- IACS, Kolkata [Own entrance test + Interview; Seats: 50]
- NISER, Bhuvneshwar [NEST; Seats: 200 ]
- ISERC, Shantiniketan [CUET; Seats: 31]
- CEBS, Mumbai [NEST; Seats: 57]
- University of Hyderabad [CUET; Seats: 20]
- Dr. Vikram Sarabhai Institute, Vadodara [Own Entrance Test; Seats: 41 ]
These offer 3-year BSc Courses, these are not as research-oriented as the earlier ones but have good faculty, and labs and are good enough places for your first degree in Biology.
- Delhi University colleges [approx 30 Seats for each college]
- Miranda House
- Hindu College
- Hansraj College
- Kirori Mal College
- Sri Venkateswara College
- Presidency University [Own Entrance Exam; Seats: 116]
They are newly set up universities but they are hiring some really really good faculty who have done their PhDs from top institutes abroad(MIT, Oxford, Caltech, etc.) and in India. These are very expensive but they do offer scholarships, sometimes up to 100%. All of these have UG courses with little variation in course structure, you can look up those finer details on their official websites.
- Ashoka University, Haryana [No fixed number of seats]
- Azim Premji University, Bangalore [No fixed number of seats]
- Shiv Nadar University, Noida [SAT, ACT, SNUSAT, JEE Mains; Seats: 30]
- Krea University, Sri City, Andhra Pradesh [No fixed number of seats]
As said earlier in the post, the top institutes are highly competitive and so not everyone can get into those, for those who cannot, these second-tier institutes will be the preferred choice usually.
Almost all of these offer 3-year BSc Courses again for complete details you should refer to their official websites.
- Delhi University Colleges which weren’t mentioned in First Tier
- BHU, Varanasi
- Central University of Rajasthan, Ajmer
- Central University of Tezpur, Tezpur
- Bangalore University, Bangalore
- Institute for Integrated programs and Research in Basic Sciences (IIRBS)- MGU, Kerala, Kottayam
- BSc Blended Courses of Pune Univ, GITAM, and Madras University [yet to start]
- Christ University, Bangalore
- St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata
- TSLAS (Thapar University), Patiala
- BITS, Pilani & Goa
- VIT, Vellore
- NMIMS, Mumbai
Third-Tier Institutes (State-wise)
For those who are in a situation where they can’t take a year drop or can’t move out for personal reasons, they can go to these colleges. In any other case, someone serious about research should try to get into better colleges. But don’t worry if you can’t get those, people from mediocre colleges too make it big if they don’t succumb to peer pressure and have the girth to persevere and make clever use of the Internet & other resources at their disposal. Here is one such example of Pravesh Sharma- From 18 backlogs in engineering to IIT Bombay’s MSc physics!!
- Scottish Church College, Kolkata
- Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandir (Boys only), Howrah
- Rama Krishna Mission Vivekananda Centenary College (Boys only), Rahara
- Bethune College (Girls only), Kolkata
- Lady Brabourne College (Girls only), Kolkata
- Central University of Tamil Nadu, Thiruvaru
- Anna University
- Amrita University
- Loyola College, Chennai
- PSGR Krishnammal College for Women, Coimbatore
- Presidency College, Chennai
- Madras Christian College, Chennai
- St. Joseph’s College, Trichy
- Stella Maris College, Chennai
- Women’s Christian College, Chennai
- Ethiraj College for Women, Chennai
- Fergusson College, Pune
- Ramnarain Ruia College, Mumbai
- St. Xaviers College, Mumbai
- Mithibai College, Mumbai
- Jai Hind College, Mumbai
- Government College for Girls, Chandigarh
- Goswami Ganesh Dutta College, Chandigarh
- DAV College, Chandigarh
- MCM DAV College for Women, Chandigarh
- M S Ramaiah College of Arts, Science, and Commerce, Bengaluru
- St Joseph’s College, Bengaluru
- The Oxford College of Science, Bengaluru
- Kristu Jayanti College, Bengaluru
- Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru
- Central University of Jharkhand, Ranchi
- St. Xavier’s College, Ranchi
- BIT-Mesra, Ranchi
- Amity University, Ranchi
- St. Francis College for Women, Hyderabad
- St. Anns College for Women, Hyderabad
Kashmir & Jammu
- Central University of Kashmir, Ganderbal
- Central University of Jammu, Jammu