Find an architecture student from any part of the world and you’ll find them exhausted and sleep deprived, ALWAYS. Pursuing Architecture isn’t rocket science, in fact it’s much simpler to understand if one is passionate about it. There are just a few things that this course demands: time, consistency and commitment. May sound very similar to a relationship, just this will be more rewarding in the long term.
Architecture school will definitely be both challenging and overwhelming; perhaps you’ll get used to it by the end of first year. Studios will become your second home, never ending submissions, group work, redo’s and underappreciation will eventually become an integral part of your life. Architecture, without any doubt will mold every bit of our life, be it personal or social. Once you start this course most of your life will revolve in and around the course and university, thus it’s vital to be mindful about choosing the right college to spend the most important 5 years of your life. It will serve as a platform to develop new knowledge, skillset, networks, memories, vision and also helps you to establish your ground morals and ethics.
COA registered Institutes and their details
As of 2021, there are 480 architectural institutes which is less than ¼ of the total number of engineering colleges across the country. Institutes offering Architecture education in India need to be approved by the Council of Architecture(COA). Therefore, Students should check the same before taking admission into any architectural Institute.
Below is the state-wise list of architecture colleges approved by COA. (2021) The documents also have additional information like institute name, code, affiliating University, and intake limit for the year 2021.
PS: COA updates the list every year, please make sure to check the newly updated list.
Architecture Institutes Ranking:
One can rank engineering, science, or any colleges on the basis of their curriculum, intake, infrastructure, certifications, quality of teachers, Student/alumni achievements, and so on. But I personally feel it’s both difficult and unfair to rank a design school on the above-mentioned factors. There are a finite number of blogs and websites that assess Architecture schools before ranking them, and yet we remain clueless about the evaluation process that they undergo.
One of the most transparent, relevant, and trustworthy forums to rely upon for Architecture school ratings is the National Association of Students of Architecture (NASA). The all-student associations formulate college ranking on the basis of student work which reflects an institute philosophy and syllabus. A jury panel made of professionals and academicians from all across the country judges those entries and declares college ranking each year.
Check out the link below to find the latest Architecture school ranking in India.
Note: While most of the Architecture schools are a part of NASA, few top institutes don’t participate. Please go through the list of architecture colleges that are actually Participating before checking the ranking.
List of Government aided institutes, SPAs, and NITs (admission through JEE Paper 2)
- School of Planning & Architecture, Bhopal
- School of Planning & Architecture, New Delhi
- School of Planning & Architecture, Vijayawada
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut
- National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur
- National Institute of Technology, Patna
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli
- Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
- Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur
- BITS , Mesra, Ranchi
- Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Jammu & Kashmir
- Chandigarh College of Architecture, Chandigarh
- SRM University, Chennai
- Punjab Technical University, Patna
- PM College of Engineering, Sonipat
- Himgiri Zee University, Dehradun
- Gitam Institute of Technology, Visakhapatnam
- Deenbandhu Chottu Ram University, Sonipat
- Dehradun Institute of Technology, Dehradun
- ICL Institute of Architecture, Ambala
- Faculty of Technology and Engineering, Vadodara
- MGMs Jawaharlal Nehru Engg. College, Aurangabad
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur
- Mizoram University, Aizawl
Best Architectural Institutes in India
7 out of top 10 institutes in National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) consists of NITs, SPAs, and IITs. However, apart from these highly prestigious institutes, there are a handful of other admirable institutes.
Below is the list of Architectural Institutes which may or may not be well known but have an exceptionally good experimental curriculum, infrastructure, and exposure. (Not ranking them in any particular order)
- Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology University(CEPT), Ahmedabad
- Sir JJ School of Architecture, Mumbai
- Academy of Architecture, Mumbai
- KRVIA, Mumbai
- Vastukala College of Architecture, New Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia – Faculty of Architecture and Ekistics, New Delhi
- Sushant school of Architecture, Gurugram
- Chandigarh School of Architecture, Chandigarh
- Dehradun Institute of architecture, Dehradun
- The Sarvajanik College of Engineering and Technology, Surat
- College of Engineering & Technology, Bhubaneswar
- BITS, Mesra Ranchi
- Indian Institutes of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur
- BMS School of Architecture, Bengluru
- Wadiyar Centre For Architecture, Mysuru
- UVCE, Bengaluru
- RVS school of Architecture, Coimbatore
- College of engineering, Trivandrum
- Avani Institute of Design, Kozhikode
- McGan’s School of Architecture, Ooty
- SAP – Anna University, Chennai
- TKM College of engineering, Kollam
- Saveetha College of Architecture, Chennai